Surfing is one of the most popular water sports. With a blend of fun and thrill, this activity can help kids to develop coordination, balance, confidence, and strength. So, if your kid is enthusiastic about surfing, you need to make sure he is equipped with the right gear and accessories.
But finding the right surfing gear for your kid is not an easy job. You need to consider several factors before buying a suitable kids surfboard for your child. To make things easier for you, I have listed down the 10 best surfboards for beginner children. Keep reading to find the one that best suits your needs.
Top 10 Best Kids Surfboards 2021
Lightweight surfboards are better for beginners. The Bo-Toy Bodyboard has all the needed features to be your kid’s first surfboard. This surfboard is 33″ wide and offers sufficient stability. It is pretty sturdy and can hold up adults too. Yet, it is just 1.3 pounds in weight, which makes it super easy to carry around.
The bodyboard is manufactured with Heat lamination technology and has an Expanded Polystyrene core. It is made with high-density polyethylene and has a rigid and durable construction. Also, it is designed to provide maneuverability and also offers great speed.
It features a pro-quality leash, which your kid can wrap around his wrist to prevent the board from floating away. It also has a crescent tail that helps to cut through the small waves. The bottom of this bodyboard features 60/40 channels for enhanced maneuverability.
- It has a fully water-resistant body.
- It has durable and rigid construction.
- It features rails at the bottom that provide great maneuverability.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Made with cheaper material.
- Does not offer a good grip on the standing surface.
Has your kid been practicing to shred the waves for a few years now? Then you can get him this Giantex surfboard to introduce him to the next level. This surfboard is 6 feet long, has a 20″ width, and a 3″ thickness. It has the ideal surface area to maintain the ideal buoyancy.
The board has an EPS core and PP bottom. The board has a fishtail that provides more traction. It also features removable fins so your kid can carry it around with ease. The board has a strong leash that will keep your kid attached to the board by their ankle. It will also prevent the board from drifting away even when he gets wiped out.
The Giantex surfboard has a durable top foam of vibrant colors. The HDPE bottom of the board has a strong and responsive skin that maximizes speed and stiffness. It is designed to provide more surface area for the riser to retain his balance.
- Available in bright colors.
- Has removable fins for easy portability.
- Not long-lasting.
- The top foam can get scratched and punctured easily.
- Has a slippery deck.
Is your preteen daughter excited to shred waves this summer? Then you can gift her this 6-foot long Guppy surfboard on her coming birthday. The board has a 21″ wide top surface with 40 liters of volume. It is ideal for kids who have become a little familiar with the art of surging. Adults can use it too. However, it can only hold a maximum weight of 100lbs.
The South Bay surfboard has two full-length wooden stringers that make the board stronger and are considerably lightweight. It has the ideal thickness that maintains the right buoyancy and makes it easy to paddle. It is constructed with a closed-cell EPS foam core. That means, unlike other foam boards, this one will not get waterlogged so easily.
The surfboard features a 3″ round rail that helps to keep it afloat and enables it to catch small waves. The board includes a 6-feet long leash to keep your kid attached to the board at all times. It also has 3 rounded-edge, soft-top surfboard fins. The rounded nose of the board provides improved speed and buoyancy. The board is also reinforced with a plastic netting layer to prevent it from damage.
- Lightweight, easy to carry.
- Features an EZ-carry handle.
- Features 3-fin thruster fin system.
- The top layer may get dented or punctured quite easily.
- Does not have a traction pad, needs frequent waxing up.
With vibrant colors and design, the Goplus bodyboard can be one of the best surfboards for beginner children. It is manufactured with a high-quality, weather-resistant, and shock-absorbing EPS core. The board is available in three different lengths (33″/37″/41″). You can choose one according to your kids’ age. The board is designed to provide excellent durability.
The high-density polyethylene slick bottom provides improved speed and stiffness. Yet, it is quite lightweight and easy to carry around. It features a leash that provides adequate traction and stability. The wristband can be wrapped around your kids’ wrist or ankle to keep the board from drifting away.
The Goplus bodyboard features 60/40 rails for added stability. The rear channels and a crescent-shaped tail allow the board to catch all kinds of waves. Its dynamic design makes it easy to maneuver and makes your kids’ surfing experience thrilling and enjoyable.
- Water-resistant, and weather-proof.
- Features a strong leash that provides good traction.
- Provides excellent durability.
- Suitable for both kids and adults.
- Feature vibrant colors and designs.
- The deck is slippery, it does not have a traction pad.
The BPS Ultralite bodyboard also comes in different sizes, much like the previous ones. So, you can pick the one that is suitable for your child’s age. This bodyboard has a 19″ width and is 2.25″ thick. It is designed to provide your kid with the needed buoyancy and speed while surfing. It is very lightweight and easy to carry and is made with EPS core, which ensures high durability and stiffness.
The slick bottom surface of the board ensures improved speed and lets your kid catch more waves. The rear end of the bodyboard is crescent-shaped to enhance performance and maneuverability. It also features rear channels at the bottom for added stability. The package also includes a leash that your kid can comfortably wrap around his ankle. It will prevent the board from floating away even when he gets wiped out, and that’s going to happen a lot at the beginning.
- Lightweight, convenient to carry.
- Comes with a coiled leash and a set of BPS fin tethers.
- Available in two different colors.
- The top foam can get dented easily.
- The board has to be kept upside down or “white side up” as keeping the top foam towards the sun can melt it down.
If you are looking for a surfboard for older kids, the North Gear kids foam surfboard can be a good choice. It is 6-feet long and 19.7-inches wide. The shape and thickness of this surfboard are designed to provide excellent stability and speed. It had a rigid and durable top foam with an expanded polystyrene core. The bottom layer of the board is made with solid and strong PP material to enhance speed.
This surfboard has three fins in a thruster configuration to improve stability. The fins are removable for easy transportation. The sleek shape of the surfboard allows you to cut through more waves with great maneuverability. It also features a leash to keep the board attached to your kid’s body at all times. It also has a traction pad on the top layer for better grip.
- Offers excellent buoyancy and stability.
- Comes with three fins in thruster configuration for enhanced performance.
- The board features traction pads.
- The board cannot hold up more than 100kg.
- Not suitable for long-term use.
If you are looking for a strong yet soft surfboard, the Liquid Shredder can be an excellent option. It is 6-feet long, which is suitable for preteens. The surfboard is 20″ wide which provides adequate space for the rider. It is 2.5″ thick that maintains an ideal buoyancy.
The surfboard is made with soft foam. So, even when your kid gets wiped out, he would not hurt himself by bumping into the board. The bottom surface of the surfboard is made with PP material. It has a slick and super hard construction that improves speed and allows it to attach more waves.
The top surface is vibrantly colored and has an integrated traction pad. The anti-slip texture of the pad helps the rider to maintain his grip and control over the board. The deck of the board is reinforced with strong wooden stringers for added stiffness.
- Manufactured with Heat lamination technology.
- Suitable for both adults and kids.
- Features integrated traction pad.
- It has a thruster configuration with three removable fins.
- The foam may get dented or punctured.
Thruster boards have been popular among beginners because of their superb stability and performance. If you are looking for something like that for your kid, the one by Kona Surf Co. can be one of the best options. This surfboard is 4’4’’ long which makes it a perfect starter board for both young kids and pre-teens. The board has a 19½ width and 2½ thickness for maximum stability and buoyancy.
The surfboard has a sleek design. It is constructed with an EPS core with two wooden stringers for improved stability. The deck of the board is laminated with soft IXPE foam. The bottom layer is made with slick HDPE for improved strength and speed. The bottom of the board also features a diamond-weave net bottom for protection against scratches and heavy impact damages.
- Comes with a coiled leash for added protection.
- Has removable fins for easy transportation.
- The board is embedded with wooden stringers for more strength.
- Diamond-weave net at the bottom for damage protection.
- It has no traction pads.
- Comparatively expensive.
California Board Company surfboard is a 7-feet longboard, most suitable for teens and young adults. It has a weight capacity of up to 210 pounds. It is 22-inches wide and 3.5-inches thick and is intended to provide maximum stability and buoyancy. It is designed to glide over the waves with incredible ease and style.
The surfboard has a foam top and a waterproof EPS foam core. Though made of foam, this board looks as if it is made of wood or fiberglass. But what makes it better than its competitors is its three built-in wooden stringers for enhanced flexibility and rigidness. The bottom of the board is made with hard, slick polyethylene.
- The package includes a PU surf leash.
- Features a Tail Cap for added protection against damage.
- Features a traction pad for the needed grip.
- It has a Tri-fin system.
- The height of this board can make it difficult to carry and transport.
If your kid has grown taller in the last few months, then he might need a new surfboard in place of his old, smaller one. You can get this Wavestorm Classic Kids surfboard for him. It is 8-feet long and is suitable for teens and young adults. It can carry a weight of up to 200 pounds. The Wavestorm surfboard is meticulously designed to provide your kid with the desirable thrill and fun.
It is made with a premium-grade EPS foam core and a durable HDPE high-impact bottom. It is shaped in a way that any beginner would find easy to paddle and maneuver. It also has three wooden stringers for more rigidity and strength. The deck skin of the board is wax-free and features a textured deck pad for the needed traction. It also comes with an adjustable paddle, an ankle leash, and removable fins.
- Has a wax-free deck with a traction pad.
- Thruster tri-fin configuration for excellent stability.
- Attractive graphics on the top surface.
- Can get waterlogged.
- The soft foam runs the risk of getting dented or punctured.
- The length of the board can make it difficult to transport.
What To Look For When Buying A Kids Surfboard?
Buying the best surfboard for beginner children would require you to consider several factors. One of the most important aspects to consider is your kid’s age. It will decide what type and size of surfboard is suitable for him. But before you buy one for your kid, it is better if you take him for a “test drive”. Try renting different surfboards, and you will find it easier to decide which one works the best for you.
Here are a few important factors that you should look for while buying a kid’s surfboard.
- The bodyboards or Boogie Boards are great for kids below seven years of age. They are easier to maneuver but the kids will require flippers to paddle faster.
- Longboards are 8-12 feet long surfboards They have a wider surface area and can flat steadily. But these are ideal for experienced surfers.
- Funboards are 6.5 to 8.5 feet long. They are actually a model in-between longboards and fish surfboards. They have a wide and round shape and can be one of the most suitable surfboards for beginners.
- The fish surfboards have a very specific shape. They have a big, wide nose and a broader surface area but a narrow tail. They may have either twin-fin or quad-fin configuration. These surfboards offer greater volume but lesser maneuverability.
- Shortboards are surfboards with a length in a range of 5-7 feet. They have an upturned tip and may have two to four fins. These are not a good choice for beginners.
You need to consider 3 different aspects of dimension while buying a kids’ surfboard: its length, width, and buoyancy.
- A longer board will be easy to paddle, help the kid gain speed and also allow him to catch smaller waves.
- A wider board would provide him greater stability.
- A thicker board with high buoyancy will keep the board afloat and let him watch more waves.
However, judging what size is suitable for your kid can be a bit tricky as there is no hard and fast formula for that. The thumb rule is to remember that a larger surface area would provide the surfer with more stability. But that does not mean you would pick the largest one for your 5-year old kid. Generally, a surfboard that is at least 1-2 feet taller than the kid will be suitable for a beginner. The kid might find it difficult to balance on a board that’s too big.
Most surfboards have fins on the rear-end of the underside of the board. These fins help in improving directional stability and assist foot movement while rising a wave. However, for a beginner, you would not have to worry much about the fin’s configuration. You can buy the usual two-fin surfboards or a thruster one with a triangular three-fin configuration.
You might also want to look for a surfboard with removable fins. Those will fit in your car more easily and you will be able to carry them conveniently.
For beginners, is it preferable if you start with something less expensive? Surfboards are manufactured with various materials. The molded foam surfboards are usually available at a cheaper price. The ones made of fiberglass are comparatively expensive.
Glossary For Newbie Surfers
- Deck: The top surface of a surfboard on which the surfer would stand.
- Tail: The posterior end of the surfboard
- Nose: The front-end of the surfboard
- Leggie: The cord or leash of the surfboard that binds your ankle to the tail of the surfboard.
- Whitewash: The broken section of a wave where beginners first start to learn to paddle.
- Wipeout: The act of falling from the surfboard when riding a wave.
Grab Your Surfboard And Meet The Waves!
Shredding waves is definitely a fun activity. But picking one from a wide range of kids surfboards can be quite tiring. So, I narrowed down the last to the best 10. I found soft foam surfboards to be the ideal choice for beginners. The foam will cushion the impact of the fall even if your kid gets wiped out a couple of times. With one of these cool and handy surfboards, your kid will be excited to taste the salt water and get some adrenaline running.
Frequently Asked Questions on Kids Surfboards
Q1. Are Foam Surfboards Good For Beginners?
Foam surfboards have a thicker base, higher volume, and yet they are considerably lightweight. It also provides greater buoyancy and is more stable. They are ideal for beginners as they will find foamie surfboards easier to paddle. Foam boards also won’t hurt your kid, even if they get wiped out.
Q2. Should I Make My Kid Wear A Life Jacket While Surfing?
Experienced surfers do not usually wear a life vest, as wearing it makes swimming difficult. However, if your kid has just begun to learn how to surf, you can let him wear a life jacket. The life vest will help your kid to stay afloat even when he is wiped out and will allow him to stand up again faster.
Q3. Should I Wax My Foam Surfboard?
The answer is yes. Most soft boards available do not usually offer a good grip. Thus, waxing the foam board becomes quite necessary. It is always a good idea to wax your foam board lightly before every surfing session. You should also give your board a complete wax job every 4-5 months.
Q4. How Long Does A Foam Surfboard Last?
With long-term use, foam boards often suffer cracks and dents. This increases the risk for the boards to get waterlogged and thus causes damage to the integrity of the board over time.
Nevertheless, anything can last for a long time if you take good care of them. With proper care and storage, your soft board lasts for more than five years. But with aggressive use, you might have to buy new ones every year.
Founder and a 36-year old mother of one who has gone through the usual problems of parenting herself and shares her own experiences through this blog. Ruby is a great writer who researches well before putting forth facts in the articles.